City Reminder for those considering building repair to their homes:

•The City of Hamilton Business Licensing By-Law protects homeowners by ensuring that the business is legitimate, has passed a police criminal check and holds third-party liability insurance

•Businesses requiring a trade licence include building repair contractors such as roofers, carpenters, bricklayers, concrete workers, window and door installers, siding, foundation and drain contractors; plumbers; heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) contractors; and fire sprinkler installers

•Always ensure a contractor has a valid trade license before hiring them by calling the City of Hamilton Building Division at 905-546-2782 to inquire; to file a complaint, call 905-546-3950

•Do not get pressured into signing anything

•Ask for a fully itemized estimate and ensure the details are written into a contract

•Get at least three other quotes if asked to make a down payment of more than 5% to 15% of the total contract price; never give a cash deposit or pay for work until it is done

Read More